<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dancing Hasidic Robots Ask Us To 'Hang Up The Phone' In Gaga-Esque Music Video 

Apparently Lipa Schmeltzer is a Hasidic pop super-star. I'm not very
current on what's trending in Hasidic circles, and I'm hopelessly bad at anything related to pop music, so I'm going off of the word on the
proverbial street here. But I do have a definite phone addiction. A
hopeless dependence on my "other wife" (according to my wife, at least.)

This is an all-too-common affliction these days, but especially among  internet types like me whose job relies on staying hyper-connected as
much as possible.
This is a bizarre Lady Gaga-esque video, made the more so by its
somewhat conservative message juxtaposed against dancing Hasidic robots. For those of us who are not Orthodox Jews and speak very little Hebrew, its bilingualism makes it all the more dizzying (though I imagine many
in the Hasidic community would find the video off-putting as well.)

Aside from it simply not being my cup of musical tea, I think Lipa's
made a lyrical mistake. "Hang up the phone" won't do the trick. How many of you actually spend all that much time talking on the phone any more? How often do you find yourself in a position where you might need to
"hang up" anything?
Personally, I spend more time texting, Tweeting, and browsing the
internet than I do talking. Lipa addresses these other issues, of
course, but his chorus (and title) miss the boat.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/09/dancing-hasidic-robots-ask-us-to-hang-up-the-phone-in-gaga-esque-music-video/


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-