<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where Brad Lander stands on marriage equality 

From Mr. Lander's blog

My family and I are long-time members of Congregation Kolot Chayeinu, a progressive Jewish community that makes a point of welcoming – right in its mission statement – “individuals of varying sexual orientations, gender identities, races, family arrangements, and Jewish identities and backgrounds” (ok, I know it’s a little crunchy for synagogues to have mission statements). We feel strongly that our own Jewish practice is enriched (and definitely made more fun and creative) by the diverse, often eclectic mix of perspectives presented on the bimah and in other settings. And we’re proud to have Marek and Rosa get their Jewish education in a place where they learn Jewish text, Jewish traditions, Jewish values -- tzedakah (pursuit of justice), tikkun olam (repair of the world) and gemilut hasadim (acts of loving kindness) –- and also see in very tangible ways that we value diversity and consider LGBT families to be, well, families.

Kolot’s rabbi and our friend, Ellen Lippmann, officiated at our wedding in 1996. At our wedding, Meg and I urged our friends and families to voice their opposition to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), by calling President Clinton. Since then, I have stood with the community at many rallies and events in support of equality. And I’m proud that the rabbi that married us 13 years ago is so often the one who is officiating at those weddings, and speaking at those rallies.

I’m also proud of the commitment to equality in the neighborhood where we live. For many years, LGBTQ folks have chosen to live here, in a mixed, but predominantly straight, set of neighborhoods. They value straight neighbors who are fierce activists, who take up the challenge to support queers and their families, and who choose to live in neighborhoods where their own children will know LGBT people and be friends with kids raised in LGBT families.

Comments:
Perhaps I'm not as "with it" as I thought. LGBT I thought stood for "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans-sexual."

So what's with the new letter"Q?" Is that for Queer? I thought Queer was the same as Gay?

I think we need another designation also. "AOH," which stands for any old hole.

 

HE LOST MY VOTE !! GOES INTO A CHURCH FOR KOL NIDRE !!! DAVENS WITH A REFORM SIDDUR FEH I WOULD RATHER VOTE 4 AL SHARPTON

 

"tikun Olam"???? it's only possible with real frumkeit.

 

yuchh

 

I really cant beleve what ever i read over here! and he really calls him self a yid? for sure he lost my vote! i think i will vote for John Heyer! he has the indorsment as i sow from the Rachmistrivke Rebbe and the skvere dayen and as i here from some more gedolei yisroel

 

What dosnt make to much sence here is, how these all Boro Park Heimishe Askunim are with him, I guess they don't know his positions on moral issues, but mr lander dosnt care about Boro Park he cares more about park slope, so I guess we will need to vote for some who does care for Boro Park, and as I heard, all the Khilos are and will endorse John Heyer for city council, so I think I'll also vote for heyer and ask my freinds to do so

 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-