<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Two explosions at 14th Avenue and 54th Street in Boro-Park 

At about 7:30 AM there was an explosion on 14th Avenue and 54th Street in Boro-Park due to an underground electrical fire. Black smoke came billowing out of area manholes. FDNY arrived at the scene and closed off the adjoining streets to traffic. About twenty minutes later there was another loud explosion from the manhole. Flames came up from the manhole and began to surround a car that was parked on top of it. Firemen attacked the flames and put out the fire before anything caught. Police then showed up at the scene and had the vehicle towed away from the manhole. Additional firemen, who arrived in civilian clothing and vehicle, were called away from their vacation to the scene of the explosion. Thick smoke is still coming from underground. Con Ed has not yet shown up at the site.

  

Comments:
Con Ed arrived before 10 am and are working there right now.

 

"Additional firemen, who arrived in civilian clothing and vehicle, were called away from their vacation to the scene of the explosion."

Sure, dream on. You think there weren't enough firemen on duty.

 

Talk about a sonic boom! I live right there and it actually woke me up! Of course, I went right back to sleep and then was promptly reawakened with the second boom. But what really shocked me most of all was all the English-speaking voices I heard outside my window. For a minute I thought I had landed somewhere in America!

 

It's 8 pm and we can see that Con Edison and the gas company are still pounding and drilling away. Talk about immediate service! What could possibly be going on with the cables down there to keep them at work for 10 hours straight AFTER the NYFD left?!

 

I drove by as it was happening. Was diverted to 15 Ave. I was literally there at 7:35am

 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-