<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Gift of Life responds to privacy breach 

Gift of Life has contacted us addressing our readers' concern of privacy for potential marrow donors.

Gift of Life told us that they have a very strict confidentiality policy in place that every employee must sign. In addition they said that all employees must undergo annual confidentiality trainings to assure that the most stringent standards are kept intact.

Gift of Life further explained that the leak of personal information was the cause of an employee that went against company policy and took matters into her own hands to contact the marrow drive site, and that the drive site and not Gift of Life, were the ones that disseminated the information.

Gift of Life also pointed out that while the person's intentions were well meant, they nevertheless violated company privacy policies. They also said that the employee at fault has since received written warning and corrective action to place the employee on probation and to have her submit to privacy policy retraining.

Gift of Life reassured us that this topic was taken very seriously and an apology was issued on behalf of the organization.

Comments:
I’m a donor and there supposed to be a common sense….
I’m all for that employee who released the info to the public in order to save a life.
If they would ever lose my info, and wouldn’t be able to contact me, I would appreciate if they publish my info, even my SS# in order to find me.

 

I was wondering about the confidentiality part myself but if it's a matter of life and death and Pikuach Nefesh, I think most people would have no problem with it. Would you?

 

There was absolutely NO case of pikuach nefesh that would justify the release of someone's precise birthdate.

They could simply have said something like "Mr. X is about 25 years old."

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in america.

 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-