<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 11, 2006

An open letter from a runaway child

Someone wrote how today things are different then thirty, twenty or even ten years ago. Today there are many fine teachers who are gold. it's true. But "It starts at Home, stupid" is the worst mistake we New Agers have come to believe. I hated my parents bitterly for the years of torture I grew up with, and till today in my thirties haven't yet got myself all together. At about shidduch age I decided it is about time, I picked my self up and left. For two years I was seething with hate, I haven't spoken to my parents. I swore in anger not to attend even their funerals. My drive to erase the past was successful. But along with that past went not only my father and mother but my siblings, my grandparents and my 5 year old brother. In the end, today, I look back at the few years I have missed. Then I got a call that my grandfather passed away. Then I checked my voicemail which I haven't checked in ages. It was my grandmother; she was begging me to come say goodbye to Zeidy in his last breaths. I couldn't believe it. Not that my zaidy died but what I'd done. All of the endless days at the hospital, they waited and waited. They were begging me to return, just to see them, just to say goodbye. And I dident come. In my anger I found a new identity and did not know them. He died knowing that His First Grandson dident want to see him. It is now too late. The guilt tears me apart. Then my father. The image of the monster I grew up with is now gone. When I see my father I see an older man, who had a bitter life. I see a tremendous pain in him, ever since I left him. It took some time for me to catch on to it, maybe two years, to realize the suffering that I had caused in him. There is no pain in the world like the pain of loosing a child. He loosed his son. His Shobbos table Empty. His life was empty. then the seder table, spring, summer, winter, and a nother year, he waited. His son is gone. A friend of mine gave him a picture of me. I was told that my father cried when he saw it, and couldn't depart from the photo "It's my son... it's my son... I wonder how he is, I wonder where he lives, I whish I could see him..." It then hit me. Today I talk to my father. I love him deeply. I long for him. But no matter how much I try to show it to him, to spend time with him, just to walk to shul on shabbos with him... there is still a wall that remains. He is afraid of me. As much as he yeans for his son the pain is too much for him to bear, and would rather spend time with his family, the family he has, not the family of a painful past. I'd do anything to repair the damage. There is nothing in the world that I hope and dream for. And looking back at the horrible abuse of a small child, you can quote me that it is nothing compared with, and nothing compares with the suffering of a father who looses his child. I'd go back to the dreaded childhood ten times just to ease the suffering, for just one moment, of a broken father.

As a teacher, I don't care, you can curse out the Rishaim rabeiim we had as a children. But as a child, and not yet a parent, I beg you all to think twice before chas visholom saying anything against a parent. Trust me, I went through it all, I know the torture. When others would tell me that I should take responsobility for myself and stop blaming, I'd curse them out and say that they have no idea what abuse is, and if you weren't abused then don't talk. Well, it took a heavy two years of my life to come to the realization that the Torah knew better when it listed a Kabed Es Avicha and omitted "The Eleventh Commandment" (Respect your children). Don't learn the hard way as I did. Bite your lip; hold it in, for years if necessary. But never, ever make the mistake and say something bad to a parent. This is what I have learned in my life, and it is what I have to teach to others. No matter what they did to you, at the end of the day it is they who need you. Before you know it they will be bedridden in an old age home, and you are the only thing they have in the whole world. You have the responsibility to be there for them. You must. No matter how much it hurts.

Response to letter;

I think this guy would benefit from seeing a good therapist, he definitely has some misplaced guilt over saving himself from his abusive parents. Maybe he needs to think if this guilt that he is feeling is further being perpetuated by his parents, who at this stage of the game have no other method of recourse to his alleged abandonment of them. Either way, it is quite common for such guilt to occur in such situations, because he is obviously the only one with an intact conscience here. However, he needs to understand what he is going through and realize that he did not bring this upon himself, only then will he be able to deal with what has happened in his life. I'm sure he would not suggest staying with parents and honoring them if they molest their kids daily. So why would physical abuse be any different? Kibud Av V'aim means honoring one's parents, i.e. not contradicting them in public. Being a punching bag is most definitely not included in this Biblical Commandment.

Comments:
I really think that this guy is and allways was really messed up.If we are talking here about a guy who is from a Frumer background then he would know much better then to rebel against parents, because what we all know is that our parents all want only the best for their children, and if a parent is sometimes abusive or is not nice to his children we have to him ''Dan Likaf Zichus''many of our parents today are Holocoust victims or children of Holocoust victims, they are not to blame for their actions and since they are our parents then we must understand them at all times the good and the bad, we all go thru hard times but we learn to overcome it.At the time that I was a teenager and went heavily into bodybuilding my father who is very Frum was very against it and at a time was very angry at me, but after awhile when he saw that it was not interfering with my learning and with my Midos he went along with it, and is today very very proud of me.But to think for one minute that I would not talk to him beacause of the different lifestyle which I chose is ridicilous .Tell this guy that he has what to feel bad about now, because a parent is a parent no matter what he does or says to you.And let everone know that the way you treat your parents is the way your children will treat you.

 

the response is better than he letter. there is no justification for child abuse & shame on us for not finding out about it & doing something to save those kids. where were the grandparents in all of this? THEY HAD TO KNOW! to hell with the parents! (& maybe the grandparents)

 

Are you freakin crazy? Hold it in? Im sorry that your experience made you realize that what you said to your parents was a mistake. I work with kids in the frum communitys whose parents have abused them mentally, physically and sexually and the last thing they need to hear is to bite thir lip and hold it in. That is probably the most irresponsible statement i have heard and is the reason why our religion has so many problems nowadays.

 

we have to him ''Dan Likaf Zichus''many of our parents today are Holocoust victims or children of Holocoust victims, they are not to blame for their actions and since they are our parents then we must understand them at all times the good and the bad, we all go thru hard times but we learn to overcome it..................
One question for this previous comment. Are they Dan you likaf zchus, when you miss shachris, did your father assume you maybe ill, or maybe a little down etc... Or did he assume you were being lazy.
When you spoke back to your parents were they dan you likaf zchus, that you were having a bad day, or maybe they said something that was very hurtful, or did they immediately assume you were being Michutzuf.
If parents are not dan their children likaf zchus, Do you expect the child to be able to be dan his parents likaf zchus????
Before writing me off please think about what I am saying!!
Ari

 

What is the story behind this egoistic moron (Chasidstud) who keeps on talking about his massive muscles and his healthy relationship with his “Bed Toy”. I have never read the writings of such a pompous individual who words are dripping with haughtiness. This guy is so crazy, he is beyond fiction! Can we make an exception and wipe this guy out of the Blogisphere?!

 

Abuse is not excusable, but we should examine why in our community we have it and how frequent. Heimishe people are under an inordinate amount of pressure, and this must be examined thoroughly and not swept under the rug, as it has been for many years. We do not accept our children as they want to be, because of fear of what the oilem will say and therefore we force them to live a certain way.

Happiness and individual choice mean nothing because of the way we want to be perceived by the oilem.

 

hey guys.

The original post never said what kind of "torture" his parents inflicted on him.

Perhaps the torture was his father yelling at him to wake up for minyan or to stop cavorting with females. That would explain his guilt today.

Alleged emotional abuse (as described by children) may be described by parents as chinuch.

Potching a child, that is so frowned upon today, is the way all of our grandparents grew up. It is only since the 60's that is became such a no-no. And potching is way different than being a punching bag.

I'm sure the author would not encourage a victem of sexual or physical abuse, or even severe emotional abuse to mend with his parents. I bet the kind of "torture" was just forceful chinuch to a child that was slightly out of line.

So, author, what kind of "torture" was it?

 

I agree with the last comment,that we dont know what had really transpired.Perhaps it was regular Chinuch but the boy was extra sensitive or maybe there was real abuse...So we should not pass judgement either way.with regards to Chasidstud..man are u full of urself!Call yourself Narssicus instead.I do Centuries (100 mile ride) on my bike but I dont walk around crowing about it.Do you know what it takes to cycle 100 miles?? Basically it is from Flatbush to Monsey AND back!let me see you do that ,tough guy.

J

 

before EVERYONE starts editorialising think that maybe this guy isnt so screwed up. there are so many diferent ways one can screw up a child in the frum community, in 3rd grade yeshivos force the kids to color in the white nike check black because its not yeshivish, or small yarmulkas arent frum..what crap! there are more important things in upbringing jewish children than forcing black hats without giving a normal reason etc. etc. etc..... people get turned off by things like this, and non understanding and uncompromising parents after years can cause theyre kids to say screw this i dont need this, im done! its a shame that it has to be like this. im not talking about physical abuse or sexual abuse, then you have a case, but in situations stated above and the like THERE IS NO BLAME ON THE CHILD OR TEENAGER!!!

 

the abusive father is darn lucky his son turned out well. so many others can be druggies or dead c'v.
being a parent doesnt give u the right to terrorize ur kids, which are a blessing..i sure hope the father asked for forgiveness too and tried to make up for lost time.
there is help out there for holocaust stress victims and i hope he takes care of himself, so he can iy'h enjoy the einiklach.

 

Nebach, poor kid he must have gone though pure torture,it's no wonder he had to escape.

 

Whoaw! Hold it right there. The letter never said anywhere that he was abused. Mistake #1- it was an assumption. I grew up with a father that whipped me with a belt if I got into bad enough trouble (My parents are from Russia) And B"H I do not feel myself abused one bit. on the contrary- I love my parents so deeply I wish I could be with them forever. Some times a child needs a punishment or two and we are the ones that imagine it as "horrible physical abuse". Sorry guys, but your claims are not valid, especially when based on an assumption! I agree with Tortured parent. Research next time you want to open your mouth and badmouth another person.

 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-